Sunday, March 04, 2007

Diving Deep into Ugly


The challenge - make an art quilt with the ugliest fabric in your stash. How about this lovely parrot fabric? I have been wondering what to do with this colorful bit for quite some time. As soon as I heard we were to use fabric we found unattractive and hard to use this fabric came immediately to mind. At first this was going to be a flower quilt because the feathers could be made into petals. Alarmingly bright petals for flowers, I admit. Finding a background was not working at all. The primary parrots fought with all but the most bland of fabric. Doomed, these crazy birds were not going down without a fight. Aha! Take all the blue parrots and make a background fabric. Still alarming to the eyes, this fabric was becoming better suited to a dark closet than the light of day. What now? A layer of white organza toned down the wicked blue but now it looked like water. Flowers floating out to sea? No more flowers. Going with the flow, waves stitched in blue went on next. Drowning two of the red parrots by turning them into a fish was the next step in saving this fabric. After a little sea grass I couldn't resist a fish hook bent from copper wire. My own parrot was even happy with the results of this quilt.





This was a challenge for me but a very humorous one. This quilt makes me smile everytime I look at it. Perhaps because I got to drown the parrots?

No flaming, please, I love most birds. I am owned by a very loud green parrot by the name of George. *Even George was happy to see the other birds go away.*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great fish! Did you name it the "Parrot fish?"

Heather said...

Thanks Lisa. LOL, yes, I have been calling it Parrot Fish. I will never make fish as nice as yours though.