Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rant - readers Beware

Why is it that as artists we allow excuses? Why would it be okay to not work at art? Students of art frequently come to my classes with excuses as to why they did not practice or do the assigned exercises ~ saying ..... "I didn't have time" , "I meant to ..." , "Oh you know how it is, my life is so hectic" If I taught a math class I doubt they would all feel the same way towards the assignments.

Why do we allow ~ and it is allow ~ Why do we allow "life" to stop art? Why do we choose to not make art at times? Why do we allow other areas of life to put roadblocks in our chosen path?

I make art.
As a stress release = I make art.
As a way to deal with "life" = I make art.
As a way to earn an income = I make art.

I'm not sure what is worse - those who come to class and do not try OR those who stop by and say .... "I wish I had the time to do ___" - "I would love to take a class but I don't have the time." - "Oh, I hope to be able to play after I retire." Leaping Lizards people! We CHOOSE to do what we do each day. We choose to walk where we walk each day. The times in my life I have let art become less of a focus are of my own choosing. I usually regret the choice later but I do know it was my choice.

Here is to a New Year of choices. I am thankful to have a New Year in which to make art and cultivate friendships. A New Year to grow and seek a healthy path. Walk with me - let's make Art.

4 comments:

sonja said...

Heather, right on! glad you are tackling the new year with a art out loud attitude. hope this year is filled with artitude...did i just say that? well let's. i'm in ...and make my "wine " a glass of merlot at sunset. yes!Sonja

Rose Path Art Studio said...

Thanks Sonja - This is going to be a great year!

Artitude - hmm - LOVE IT

FlutterbugArtGirl said...

Good thoughts Heather. I needed to re-read this. Happy Artful Day -- K

sonja said...

we miss your art